Confession Time: I have never loved this musical as much as I am supposed to. As far as Gene Kelly as concerned, I much preferred his performances in Anchors Aweigh and On the Town more. So I will keep this brief to keep the stones from being thrown too much. The only reason I re-screened it is because I have delusions of getting into the Supporting Actress Smackdown that The Film Experience is hosting at the end of the month.
- Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor sure can dance, can't they?
- While I don't dislike Debbie Reynolds in this role, I always forget about the performance. Weakest of the principal players
- I realize 'Singin' in the Rain' is supposed to be one of the greatest songs ever, but I don't really care for it. In fact, the only song from the movie I would say I wholeheartedly love is 'Make 'Em Laugh' - which is much more of a performance piece than a song.
- Every time I watch this movie, I develop a crush on Donald O'Connor.
- Jean Hagen is hilarious as Lina Lamont. While I am ambivalent about the movie, I am not about her performance. Very deserving of the Oscar nomination.
- Surprisingly, Hagen's Best Supporting Actress nomination is the only Oscar nomination that the filmed received. I would have thought O'Connor's performance would also have been nominated in Supporting Actor at the very least.
- Reading about the making of the movie is (in my opinion) far more interesting than the film itself. Apparently Gene Kelly was a bit of a terror - even making Debbie Reynolds cry at one point.